Commissioned by Benito Mussolini, this impressive work of military engineering (over 4.5 km of underground tunnels dug into the bowels of Monte Soratte), was a secret air-raid shelter for the highest office of the Royal Army.
During the years of World War II (1943-1944) for 10 long months, the site hosted the Supreme Command of the South (Oberkommando der Wehrmacht), the headquarters from which the Field Marshal Albert Kesselring directed the military operations of the German front with regard to Italy and Southern Europe. On May 12th 1944, the underground fortress suffered a massive bombardment by two flights of B-17 of the U.S.
Air Force, that routed the Nazi troops. In 1967, finally, during the Cold War, a portion of this underground labyrinth was converted under the auspices of NATO, in atomic bunker for the Presidency of the Council of Ministers.
A most extraordinary place, which has represented and still represents an important card in the complex mosaic of the history of the 900, which is located only 35 km from Rome.