The Boboli Gardens can be considered an open-air museum hosting a great collection of sculptures, dating back to the 16th and the 18th centuries, with some Roman antiquities.
The Gardens – some of the first and most famous 16th-century Italian gardens – were designed as soon as the Medici grand dukes of Tuscany bought the Pitti Palace in 1550, on the spectacular setting of Boboli hill, just behind the Palace. The architect Giorgio Vasari gave his contributions in planning and laying out the grottos, while Buontalenti completed the magnificent Large Grotto, decorated internally and externally with stalactites, statues and vegetation.
The Boboli Gardens incorporate wide gravel paths, a lavish statues and fountains, a proliferation of detail, grottos, nymphaeums and garden temples. The Gardens also host the amphitheater, the Ancient Egyptian obelisk, the beautiful Fountain of Neptune and, last but not least, the Porcelain Museum.