In the Caffarella Park, speleologists found a complex of sepulchral rooms and corridors of the IV century. The discovery happened by chance, during the exploration of a quarry. The catacombs have been discovered after 1700 years, at about eight meters depth. For several days, speleologists have been exploring a series of quarries in an area of the Park.
The peculiarity of this fantastic discovery is the different building structure: a wall of ancient clay-bricks, with a narrow half-hidden hole. After the hole, there is a corridor 1 meter large, which leads to a wide squared room. In this room, speleologists found a series of niches decorated with arches and sepultures, precisely excavated in the walls.
Catacombs date back to the period between the IV and the V century, they are intact in the architectonic structure, even if the major part of tombs have been profaned.
The discovery was made thanks to a topographic mapping operation of a complex of the roman quarries. Speleologists were looking for an abandoned quarry dating back to ‘800 and found this new complex of catacombs.
The structure of the new complex is made of a corridor 40 meters long, with holes on the left and on the right, covered with clay-bricks. The corridor intersects with another long corridor with a scheme based on the Greek cross. In the structure, there is a sequence of big squared rooms covered with vaults and various funeral lateral niches. At the base of these niches, fragments of red decorative marbles were also found.
Moreover, in these rooms there are two monumental chimneys, excavated in the wall and covered with plaster, maybe canals towards the superior levels of the catacombs.
In this way, researchers found, in the heart of the Caffarella Park, a new complex of catacombs, which was completely unknown before.
For the final report of the new complex, we will wait for the diagnosis of the Superintendence of the Archaeological Heritage.