The certosa di san Martino (Charterhouse of st. Martin) in Naples is located on the Vomero hill, besides Castel sant’Elmo, and is one of the most recognizable symbols of the city; in the past it served as a monastery complex and is now a museum. First built by Charles of Anjou, duke of Calabria, in 1325, it underwent many changes until it finaly became a museum in the second half of eighteenth century. This marvellous structure was built by the architects Tino di Camaino and Attanasio Primario with the architectural style of the Carthusian order. Only the beautiful gothic basement has survived from the original project, since the whole building was changed many times between the end of the sixteenth and the beginning of the eighteenth century. The current look of the Charterhouse was designed by three architects: Giovanni Antonio Dosio (1581) who gave the building a softer renaissance style instead of the old rough gothic look; Cosimo Fanzago (1623), who gave it a baroque style and Nicola Tagliacozzi who in his work managed to unify rococò architecture, painting and sculpture. In time, many renowned artisits worked for the cartusian monks, including Ribera; Battistello Caracciolo; Lanfranco; Luca Giordano; Giuseppe Sammartino and Domenico Vaccaro.