Santa Maria Novella – church of San Lorenzo (Medici Chapels) – S. Croce – Duomo
Santa Maria Novella was the center of the Dominican order in Florence. The church has a Romanesque exterior with white and green marble with a geometric design and a Gothic style inside. in the sacristy, you can admire the painted cross by Giotto. The care and beauty of its ornaments can be summed up with the name of Michelangelo who called the church of Santa Maria Novella “My wife.” the church of San Lorenzo was rebuilt in Romanesque style around 1000. It was later remodeled by Brunelleschi in 1421 commissioned by Bicci Giovanni de ‘Medici and was completed in 1460 by Antonio Manetti. Michelangelo designed the inner face, the sacristy and library.
The interior is a simple and rigorous example of Renaissance of Brunelleschi. Donatello’s sculptural decoration in examples of great virtuosity and intense drama. Laurentian Medicean Library, founded by Cosimo the Elder and enlarged by Lorenzo the Magnificent. Access is through the extraordinary staircase designed by Michelangelo. Inside San Lorenzo we have the Medici Chapels: The Chapel of the Princes, which contains the tombs of the Medici family, with, Michelangelo’s first architectural work, the tombs of Giuliano and Lorenzo de ‘Medici (respectively the son and grandson of Lorenzo the Magnificent). S. Croce, the largest Franciscan church in Florence. It is ‘one of the most beautiful churches in the city, the beautiful interior decoration is enriched by the tombs of famous personalities of the Italian Renaissance, Michelangelo and Galileo to name a few. The Duomo of Florence is the building that dominates the city with its grandeur. The fourth cathedral in the world for size. Inside the cathedral contains frescoes of absolute artistic value, as well as prestigious windows. The names of the artists who worked the works of the cathedral are of great value from Donatello to Vasari The bell tower of the cathedral is made of white marble, pink and green, designed by Giotto, with bas-reliefs by Pisano and della Robbia. The Baptistery was originally a pagan temple with its gilded bronze doors which include the Gates of Paradise.
GO BACK TO THE FLORENCE TOURS
FOR MORE INFORMATION FILL OUT THIS FORM